It’s going to be a fine day in Africa today…this is the view from our tent & I barely need to get out of bed to take the picture….we’re up early – raring to go on our first early morning game drive. Fortified with a hot coffee and breakfast ‘to go’, we depart camp to see what we can find this morning. Last night we were lulled to sleep by the sound of lion and hyena….
This area of the southern Serengeti is known as Moru kopjes – little mounds of rock & vegetation that break up the monotony of the endless plains…and also a great place for lions & leopards to hang out with lunch on the hoof nearby…
And sure enough, there they are….
He’s quite a handsome fellow….& (s)he knows it…
Down on the plain nearby is the other male in the pride, trying his luck with one of the ladies…It’s these two we’ve been hearing at night…..sharing progress reports on their respective dates…
After the morning’s excitement, it is back to camp for a bit of R&R….lots of books to read…tea & the marvellous Tanzanian coffee on tap…..& a spot of lunch never goes amiss..
After tea we head back out – as this is a national park we have a curfew so no staying out late tonight……
Special Offers: – There’s much to be said for not following the herd. Between mid November and mid-March, there’s masses to see and do with the added benefit that you won’t have to share, and there are some great specials to take advantage of, compliments of Nomad Safaris.
01 December 2012 – 15 March 2013
- 3 for 2 nights at any of Sand Rivers, Kiba Point, Lamai Serengeti, Nduara Loliondo, Chada Katavi and Greystoke Mahale
- 4 for 3 nights at Serengeti Safari Camp – either on it’s own or combined with Lamai Serengeti or Nduara Loliondo
A few top tips on how to make these work:
- 7 for 5 combining calving in the southern plains at Serengeti Safari Camp with the remote north at the stunning Lamai Serengeti
- 10 for 7 combining 3 totally different and equally awesome experiences (best before end Dec 2012): 3 nights at each of Lamai Serengeti, Chada Katavi and Greystoke Mahale.
- 3 for 2 at Sand Rivers Selous or Kiba Point combined with Zanzibar or the islands – perfect sun, sea and safari
Granted it is not the multitude of flamingo’s in all their pink glory that one would see at Nakuru or Bogoria but this is pretty good too as a sundowner spot & finale to the day….
After the obligatory gin & tonic, its time to head back to camp for a shower & some dinner…